Patent Attorney - Kieran Williams, Ph.D.
Kieran is an Australian and New Zealand Patent Attorney specialising in life sciences, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals.
Kieran is a Fellow of the Institute of Patent and Trademark Attorneys of Australia and holds a Bachelor of Science with Honours and a Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Sydney, and a Master of Industrial Property (Intellectual Property Law) from the University of Technology, Sydney.
Prior to joining Cotters, Kieran was a Principal and the head of the life sciences group at a large Australian IP firm, and has a wealth of experience in all aspects of patent prosecution and portfolio management. In addition to assisting international biotech and pharma companies obtain patent and plant breeder’s rights protection in Australia and New Zealand, Kieran works with Australian companies to obtain commercially-relevant patent protection abroad. Kieran also advises start-ups and investors in patent strategy, and gives presentations at universities and conferences.
Kieran is actively involved in the research community and the patent attorney profession, and is currently serving as an Australian representative on the Asian Patent Attorneys Association’s Patents Committee.
Before joining the patent attorney profession, Kieran was a Clinical Pharmacology Scientist at GSK, held Postdoctoral Fellowships at St Vincent’s Hospital in Australia, the Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology in Germany and the University of Aberdeen in Scotland, and was a Patent Examiner at the Australian Patent Office.
Kieran has been recommended in the IAM Patent 1000 as a biotech and pharmaceuticals authority, and for being intimately familiar with patent term extensions and plant breeder’s rights. IAM has said the following “Williams has an assured hand when it comes to overseeing complicated instructions thanks to former stints as a patent examiner at IP Australia and as a clinical pharmacology scientist at GlaxoSmithKline“, “Kieran Williams has a fanbase of ASX-listed companies that value his technical gifts“, “Williams is an attorney who keeps clients’ best interests in mind” and “the trained neuroscientist is no stranger to getting his hands dirty in research settings and counts three research fellowships on his CV“.
Patent Attorney Experience
Kieran has extensive experience in all aspects of patent prosecution and portfolio management, including:
- drafting patent specifications;
- filing and prosecuting patent applications;
- managing patent portfolios and providing strategic advice;
- preparing and prosecuting applications for pharmaceutical patent term extensions;
- preparing patent validity and infringement advice, and freedom to operate opinions;
- conducting patent oppositions;
- patent watching and searching; and
- filing and prosecuting plant breeder’s rights applications
Qualifications and Professional Affiliations
- Bachelor of Science (Honours)
- Doctor of Philosophy
- Master of Industrial Property (Intellectual Property Law)
- Registered Australian and New Zealand Patent Attorney
- Registered Australian Trade Marks Attorney
- Fellow of the Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA)
- Member of the Asian Patent Attorney Association (APAA)
- Member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- Member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
Return to Cotters Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys main page.